Saturday, April 20, 2013

Developing Super Sightreaders : Consecutive SR Contest

 Sightreading is one of the most practical skills for a pianist that is often neglected.... at least it was for me.  Over the past few years, I have searched for useful ways to incorporate sightreading practice more consistently in my studio.  One of my favorite tools to help improve sightreading skills for my elementary students is Diane Hidy's Sightreading Flashcards

The short sightreading samples are perfect for lesson starters (or enders) and have a very gradual increase in difficulty. The first few pages include different patterns of landmark notes and gradually add in skips and steps. 

I put the pages in sheet protectors in my teaching binder and then challenge students to see how many measures in a row they can play without a pitch or rhythm mistake as I play the same pattern in a lower octave on the keys.  This helps them hear rhythm and note errors immediately.

 Rules of the game:
  • STOP at the end of each page & look for patterns on the next page before playing. What is the highest note, lowest note? This will help you know where to place your hands.
  • Ask students to count one measure before starting and remember to choose a slow tempo!
  • When you make a mistake your score restarts at zero and you move on to the next sample.  (Each sample increases in difficulty).

Tips for success:
LOOK BEFORE YOU LEAP...
This one is so hard for some students who just want to dive in and play without analyzing patterns or looking ahead to prepare for challenging spots.  I made the rule that as soon as I hear a sound from the piano, the race starts.  But they are free to "ghost-play" it first by silently playing through the sample if they wish.
STOP at the end of each page & look for patterns on the next page before playing. What is the highest note, lowest note? This will help you know where to place your hands.


SLOW AND STEADY WINS THE RACE
Ask students to count one measure before starting and remember to choose a  s   u   p   e  r      s  l   o  w  tempo.   This helps them hear rhythmic and note errors immediately.


I use post-it flags with each student's name # of consecutive measures earned to track where they left off.  The more measures the student accumulates, the more careful they become at following these tips, because the pressure is on not to start over at zero.


Other sightreading resources & ideas:

Interesting Post on Sightreading Research at Foxx Piano Studio

354 Free Reading Exercises in C Position by Michael Kravchuk


2 comments:

  1. Heidi, I love this idea! I'm totally stealing it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you like it! I happened to read a few of your old blog posts this weekend & it was just what I needed on a dreary day. I love your insight that life isn't supposed to be like Eden, that Eve chose the more challenging option of having posterity because it would lead to progression. I've been fighting reality lately & wishing I could jump back to an "Eden-like" life even though I know that having "Mountains to Climb" will be better for me in the end:)

      Delete