After several years of finding a treasure trove of online piano teaching resources, I decided to compile my most often used on the bench teaching aids into a couple of binders with tabbed dividers w/ sheet protectors. It's so convenient to have my note naming, sightreading & rhythm drills all in one place as students work to compete in the Piano Summer Olympics Events.
Notereading - Say & Play all notes on the page in less than one minute
- Perfect Start for Notereading
- Notes in the Fast Lane Susan Paradis
- NoteBoys Explain Ledger Lines Susan Paradis
Sightreading - Play as many measures in a row as you can with accurate notes and rhythm
- Pre-Reading Sightreading Cards (Pianimation.com) I print multiple cards per page.
- Partial staff cards to practice directional reading (step up, step down, repeat)
- Sightreading Pages (Now sold as "flashcards" that you cut apart at Dianehidy.com)
- Very gradually sequenced 2-4 measure examples starting with landmark notes on both staves, then notes within major and minor 5 finger patterns.
- Sightreading Challenge Sets (Pianimation.com Teacher Resources)
- Leveled sightreading challenges beginning with directional patterns, landmark notes on one staff. They gradually increase in difficulty eventually including various key signatures, articulation and dynamic marks.
- Reading Exercises in C Major by Michael Kravchuk
- A downloadable pdf including 354 1-line reading exercises ranging from simple quarter+whole note patterns for both hands without accidentals to advanced level samples with grace notes, various 16th note/rest patterns with thicker textures and multiple accidentals.
- Rhythm Drills (Compose Create) - Clap & count each line of rhythms
- Rhythm Beat Boards (Pianimation)
- Rhythm Teaching Aids: While/Half Rest, Rhythm in the Grid/Mighty Dot (Susan Paradis)
- Moving Up/Down, Step/Skip, Major/Minor, Rhythm ID Listening Worksheets (Compose Create)
- Slide Position Thumb Visual (Music Matters)
- Picture Scales: Pentascales, 1 8va, 2 8va (Susan Paradis & Layton Music)
- Major Scale Fingering Diagrams by Jason Sifford
- Arpeggios (Discoveries Piano Studio)
- Inversions, Roman Numerals Note Boys (Susan Paradis Teaching Aids)
- Snowman Chord Progressions (Piano Escapades)
- Circle of 5ths (Sing a New Song)