Steps for Selecting Appropriate Piano Fingering
1. Identify and mark the melodic phrases in the song.
- Use the words and punctuation as your clues.
- Most phrases for hymns are 2-4 measures in length.
2. "Block" the Left Hand notes one phrase at a time.
3. Identify phrases including notes larger than a 5 finger span.
4. Write in the fingering at the beginning of each phrase.
5. Decide which fingering technique works the best.
- Expansion- open hand wider than 5 finger position
- Contraction- close hand smaller than 5 finger position
- Finger Crossing - tuck thumb under or cross fingers over as in scale playing
- Finger Substitution- replace one finger with another while playing repeated notes