Thursday, February 7, 2013

Where is One? Teaching Finger Numbers

Sing this and use the actions for "Where is Thumbkin" to help your child learn finger #s. Finger 1 is the thumb, Finger 2 is pointer, etc. Rather than making a fist and trying to hold up just one finger, have the student tap the finger named on their lap or a tabletop like they would if playing a piano key.

"Where is One, Where is One, (Hide hands behind back)
Here I am ( pull out right hand, set hands on lap in a rounded position and tap your thumb on its side tip)
Here I am (pull out left hand, ...)
How are you today sir? (Tap right thumb)
Very well I thank you (Tap left thumb)
Run away ( Hide right hand behind back)
Run away( Hide left hand behind back)

Repeat with all fingers only play on the fingertip (not the side tip).

Adding a finger puppet or this finger toy I recently found at "Dollar Tree" just adds to the fun.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Heidi, I just found this entry today and love it! I did a very similar entry a few weeks ago, and here is the link if you're interested. http://thepluckypianista.blogspot.com/2012/05/where-is-finger-1-finger-number-twirls.html
    Hope you're having a great summer!
    Melody

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great idea! Singing always helps students remember... I've never gotten creative in teaching finger numbers but I will definitely be using this! I think I have some of those little googly eyes sitting around somewhere, too. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fun! I'm going to use this song today with my beginning piano group lesson. Thank you for sharing your creativity!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Enjoy! Group lessons are so much fun.

      Delete