Monday, March 11, 2024

Change Fingering on Repeated Notes?

To change?
or 
Not to change?
That is the Question!

After one of my students wondered why the fingering in Bach's Minuet in G Anh 116 is so complicated, specifically regarding the finger subs on repeated notes,  I did a bit of digging hoping for a simple video explanation to add to piano lab for my student regarding why or why not to use changing fingers on repeated notes. Instead, I found the controversy is alive. 

One video asserts 2 Reasons you MUST change fingering on repeated notes!

Whereas this video leads in with the opposite stance.

STOP changing fingering on repeated notes!

He includes compelling "evidence" from a Lang Lang performance.



I wonder, how would you respond to this question? I'd love to hear your comments on how you approach this topic with your students!

No comments:

Post a Comment