Tuesday, February 22, 2011

New Tool for Teaching Wrist Movements

New Tool for Teaching Wrist Movements in Piano Lessons, Teaching wrist rotation in piano with a tongue depressorToday my daughter was struggling to catch on to the concept of wrist rotation in her "Airplane Pilot" song which involves a lot of rotating back and forth from C to G w/ fingers 1 &5. But when we added some "wings" to her airplane with this simple tongue depressor the improvement was dramatic . The "wings" made her subtle movements much more obvious so she could easily visualize the rotation. I'm happy to be adding one more whimsy tool to my bag of piano tricks!
Next up might be a mini "wrist skirt" for her to wear while she dances her fingers on the keys...............anything "princess" is sure to win her heart!

More Tips for Teaching Piano Technique

8 comments:

  1. This is so cute and creative- what a great idea to use the theme of the song and turn it into such a tangible, visual lesson!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm stealing this idea! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this idea! I plan on using this with my students :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the great tips! I'm planning to use this with some of my students!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would love to try this idea! Genius!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Sometimes it just takes something simple to make concepts more memorable so they stick with our student.s

      Delete
  6. Do you have any tricks for student who have druppy wrists? I have one student who likes to rest his wrists on the board.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The story of Nile the Crocodile on this post is a memorable way to help fix those droopy wrists! When you remind them about the collapsing house they quickly fix the wrist. Having a thumb slide is also an effective fix for the wrist. A flat slide is no fun at all!
    https://heidispianonotes.blogspot.com/2017/08/proper-hand-position-with-nile-crocodile.html

    ReplyDelete