Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Piano Music Storage Bags

As a practical minded piano teacher, I prefer to come up with unique yet useful rewards for our annual piano studio Achievement in Music Program.  Partly this is due to the fact that we have accumulated a lot of participation trophies from our children's involvement in various sports, which collect dust on the shelf and eventually end up having to be stored in a box on a different shelf.  Last year my students were excited to get a grand piano shaped pencil sharpener with keys that move as you sharpen.
After reading this fabulous tutorial on how to  "Make Your Own Piano Bag"  post by Anne,  I was inspired to make some individualized bags for students who earned superior marks.   I selected some free images online and let the students pick their choice of image and font. 
I picked up some multi-packs of canvas totes & iron on inkjet transfer paper from Walmart and here are a few of the results.
My favorite image was this free printable quote from my sister Kara's blog.
 In addition to ironing this on one of my student's bags, I  printed and framed the bright yellow version of this and placed it on the window ledge above my kitchen sink.  As a mom of 6, it provides perspective for me on days when the dishes and laundry piles seem endless or when my kids are less than enthusiastic about practicing the piano and I start to feel a little discouraged.  I love reading this optimistic reminder!

So even though my children still don't jump at the chance to practice, at least they always know where to find their books( in the wicker "piano bag" basket next to the piano) and my house is one step closer to clutter free :)

1 comment:

  1. I LOVE that you decided to use inspirational/optimistic quotes on your piano bags! What a great gift for your students. I definitely will be checking out your sister's blog too!

    ReplyDelete