Friday, October 22, 2010

Learning Skips with "Skip Frog"

While teaching my daughter this fun song from Susan Paradis's site I came up with a creative way of reviewing the concept of skips on the keys. We played "skip-frog" (a spin-off of leap frog) with our fingers on the keys. I had her place her finger on any key on the piano. Then I put my finger a step up or down from hers and she practiced "skipping" her frog (finger) over my frog (finger). Maybe I will add a little felt frog finger puppet to my bag of piano things for her to slip over her finger the next time we encounter skips.
Then she identified the skips in her song and colored a little "skip-frog" above them.
Isn't piano fun!

4 comments:

  1. I have a request. If possible can you make a post about getting started... just name or link to 3 or four of your activities or ideas that would be best for getting started with teaching a preschooler. Then give some basic tips about where to start. I love all of your ideas, and have been wanting to do some with Dessie, but when I think of it I get so overwhelmed I don't know where to start, especially since I haven't had much formal music education.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loooove this idea, thank you for sharing. Your daughter is adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Heidi,
    I have nominated you for an award! I appreciate your blog and hard work! You can view the nomination on my blog at www.sherylwelles.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete